Thursday, September 16, 2010

July 6-12 2010 – Idaho/Utah trip

Took a special trip to Utah for a baptism. Because mommy is pregnant and Emery had other commitments, it was just myself, Moriah and Brooke. We had a great time. We veered a couple hundred miles out of the way to visit Sun Valley, Idaho on the way down. I had some business to tend to. It was cool to see the place, as the last (and only) time I was there was 1987. It looks pretty different during summer! But I tell you what else, it made the trip feel SO LONG. I don’t know what it was, but man that highway seemed like it was never gonna end. The kids were troopers about the whole detour thing, and actually asked when we’ll be heading back there. I guess they really liked the hotel pool or something because man, that was a haul.

Then we headed down to Utah and were able to celebrate my father’s 76th birthday with family. We got to stay with my brother’s family for a couple nights. Man, those cousins had a blast together. I also got to see my bro’s office in downtown SLC and go to the “legacy center” for a swim with the kids. Fun times, man. Fun times.

The highlight of the trip, of course, was my niece’s baptism. It was particularly special for me because I was able to perform both ordinances. She asked me a few months before, and man what a special thing that was. I told her that I hope she writes it down in her journal and never forgets what this day was like for her. I really felt blessed to be able to a small part of that. She has a bright future ahead of her.

I had a moment of triumph on this trip. I bought an SUV a few months ago and wanted to give it a good test. I knew of a spot up on one of the mountains near Springville where you veer off the main trail and can climb a wall-like steep spot that feels straight up, then pop out on a tiny mountain top, just big enough for your vehicle. They call it the “Camels back” and has an incredible view of Mapleton and Springville. I had to try, so I grabbed my dad and my bro-in-law and we headed up the canyon. The road is very bumpy and has some rough terrain, but nothing too bad. Then you get to the turn-off spot and see the “wall” you’re about to climb. Two 4x4’s were at the bottom, drivers talking to each other, seemingly lamenting that they couldn’t get up the hill. But I was not deterred. I had come this far, I had to try. We got up half-way just flooring it in AWD. But then it literally stopped moving because the power was totally sapped. Not because it lost traction, but because the engine couldn’t push us up that steep of an incline. Wow. You look out the windshield and all you see is sky. It feels like you’re pointed straight up. I knew if I tried to go backwards it might get even uglier, so I had a moment of adrenaline. I could tell that even my even-keeled dad was looking at me with wide-eyes, internally cursing the predicament. Later, he said he thought we were gonna fall off the side of the hill. I also learned that many a vehicle has rolled off from that spot. Yikes. But I was not doubting. I threw the transmission in first gear and locked it in 4WD (has to be in 1st to lock, otherwise it’s in AWD). Gave it some gas. We rocked a bit, and with some real engine-revving effort, we hopped right out of the spot and climbed the remaining 100 feet or so. When we got to the top, I was in awe. Jumped out, ran to the front of the rig and saw what would have been a great advertisement photo. Sitting there, on top of the rocky mountains, having just conquered a tough climb. I was impressed. We spent the next 15 minutes or so looking over the view of the towns below. Really cool moment. And we made it down the mountain without tumbling. That was a bonus, too.

We also got to spend a couple nights at grandma and grandpa’s house. Got to play some hoops with my bro-in-law. Introduced the game “Tip 21” to him. Pretty fun game…I can play that game for hours and hours and not get tired of it. (In fact, that’s just what I did during many of my teenage years. But I digress.) This trip reminded me again how cool our family is and that there’s a reason we make all the effort to maintain family relationships, even (or especially) from afar.

A last note: The return trip from Utah to Portland always seems so much shorter to me. Of course, you gain an hour coming back, so during the summer you can do the whole trip during daylight. And the Idaho detour made the trip there seem much longer. But there’s something else. It just seems so much shorter heading home than it does going there. Lots of reasons, I suppose, but I still always am amazed at the phenomenon. Time for some forensics!

No comments: