Thursday, September 16, 2010

August 13 2010 – Ball visit

My sister and family visited for a few days to attend her 20th high school reunion. It was a blast having them in town – they have children with similar ages to ours, so it was an instant party! We spent one day at the beach (Pacific City). It was a rare day that the temperature got above 80 at the beach, and there were a TON of people there, considering the usual size of the crowds. We climbed the sand dune at Cape Kiwanda. I’ve climbed at least 6 or 7 times now…but wow, now that was some HOT sand on a hot day. It felt like my feet were going to burn right off. On the top, Emery had a defining moment. She was whispering to me “I did it!” She was so proud that she got up that dune. It was a tough climb, and the hot sand made it miserable for all of us. But we persevered, and especially Emery. It was a very cool moment for me. I was so happy for her and was so glad she was feeling so strongly about it. On the way back down, I’ll never forget Dovie and Andy whooping and hollering as they raced down the dune. Good times. Then we went over to Tillamook and toured the cheese factory. Cool stuff.

After arriving home that night, Dovie went to her reunion activities while Andy and I took the kids to an outdoor movie. A friend of mine has rigged a big screen in his cul-de-sac and showing movies on summer nights. So we saw “Honey, I shrunk the kids” outside. Fun times.

On Saturday, we got to head down to the aviation museum in McMinnville where the Spruce Goose is on display. The kids had fun. I was most really impressed with the quality of the museum and all of the amazing things they had inside and outside the place. The IMAX movie they show as really cool, too. It was a fun weekend with family.

No comments: