Thursday, September 16, 2010

August 9 2010 – Coaching soccer

Now I’m in for it. The rec. club said they needed a few more coaches to volunteer or they would have 24 1st grade girls they’ll have to turn away from playing. So, since I have a girl in the system, I agreed to give it a shot and coach her team…even though I have never played a lick of soccer in my life! I figure since the players are only 6 yrs old, they might not notice if I mess up a few rules here and there. The point at this age really is to make sure they have fun. And I am also blessed that I have 3, count them 3! Asst coach/parents helping me out. So, I’m figuring the sport out and actually having a blast. Since basketball is “my” sport, I have some basic concepts of soccer. But man, now that I’m giving it a shot, I realize hey, maybe I should have done this as a kid! Short people like me can be pretty good players! What was I thinking, falling in love with basketball, a tall-man’s sport? Well, ok, so soccer isn’t as cool as basketball, but I am learning to appreciate the game and having a good time coaching my daughter and her new friends. I hope I don’t mess up too bad!

No comments: