Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Boating the Willamette

For FHE last night, friends were kind enough to take us out for some fun on their boat. The kids took turns in the tube, then the adults got to ski/wakeboard. I was impressed with Mel’s mad skeeelz. Melissa has not been waterskiing many times in her life (neither have I), but she popped right up on her first shot out of the water. I was amazed. As a teenager, I tried to waterski a few times, but never quite got the hang of it (maybe got up once or twice). Similarly, I tried wakeboarding as a teenager, but was never able to get up. So last night I got up on the wakeboard on my first try, then after a short lived second attempt, on my third I was up for quite some time. I even tried jumping the wake a few times (not successful, but fun). Wakeboarding is a BLAST! I really enjoyed it.

I have to say this: the Willamette is shockingly cold right now. I haven’t swum in it recently, but I used to jump/swim in it regularly in the early 1990’s. I’ve never experienced it this c-c-cold before. Call me a wuss, but it was chilly! OK, OK, I am a wuss. I seemed to be the only one who was really cold.

No comments: