Wednesday, September 16, 2009

8/14/2009: Anniversary – Columbia Gorge

10 years already!?! We were able to celebrate our anniversary at the Skamania Lodge in the Columbia river gorge. I experienced my first professional massage in my life during the “couples massage”. Wow, now that was relaxing. The lodge has an excellent restaurant and we enjoyed a gigantic meal there. The lodge has some cool hiking trails (including work-out stations throughout), so we took advantage of those and the pool/hot tub. Overall, a great experience.

RAFTING: Then, in the morning my surprise for Melissa was a rafting trip down the White Salmon River. It was really cool. And I mean COLD. It was a hot day, but that frigid mountain spring water requires a wetsuit even in the hottest weather. The ride was great, with a few class 3 rapids. But in the middle, they ask all who are not willing/extreme to exit while the “crazies” go off a 14-ft waterfall. Count me in, man! So I went down the waterfall and was the only on in the raft to not be totally immersed in the water. This was because I made a mistake in the way I braced for impact, causing my body to be up, rather than down. I got lucky, held on for dear life, and lived to tell about it. Good times, man!

No comments: