Monday, October 19, 2009

Grown-up talk (waah waah)

Moriah really wanted this book called “Body Science” when she was at her school’s book fair last week. It has great photos and descriptions of different things going on inside your body (i.e. energy, balance, brain, muscles, bones, 5 senses, etc). So, the last few nights, that’s been our bedtime reading (sometimes I have to edit to make sure there’s no scary nightmare-ish fodder). It's actually pretty cool. So, last night I’m reading some pages with her and I notice her eyes glazing over a bit, so I ask: “Are you liking the book?” She says: “Well, yeah, but most of the time it’s just adult talk. I only want to hear the cool stuff.” I had visions of Charlie Brown’s teacher “waah waah” in my head. That’s what it is for a 7 year old, even though the book is aimed at kids (albeit probably for kids older than her). Even when reading a book she chose, I have to mindful of too much “grown up language.”

No comments: