Thursday, October 1, 2009

9/26/2009: Melissa’s first 10k

Mel ran her first race ever this weekend. I was impressed. She was doubtful to actually do it (knee problems, etc) until just before race day, so she hadn’t trained extensively for it. She figured she’d walk some if necessary and just focus on finishing. Well, she found that she has fire inside after all! She ran with a group of friends and they all went without walking. The race, called “The Best Dam Run” (dams on the river, folks...), is a beautiful setting along the Clackamas river, ending in downtown Estacada, OR. I was there with cameras in hand (her friends camera as well), waiting to take the shot of glory while they sprint to the finish. We waited for sometime and for whatever reason, did not see them approaching and was not prepared when they rounded the corner. By the time I saw it was them, I had to fumble to turn both cameras on and sprint next to them to try to get a good action shot. Well, it didn’t work out so well. I looked like an idiot doing it and the photos are none-too-impressive. I tried, sweetie! Melissa finished with an overall time of 1:06:20, equaling 10:42 splits.

Our girls were excited to see mommy race, too. Moriah made a great sign to hold up at the finish line that read simply: “Go My Mom!” I love that it wasn’t just “Go Mom!”, but she had to specify that it was HER mom that she was cheering on. Love it.

No comments: