Thursday, October 1, 2009

Discovering the Old Salmon River Trail

After the 10k race in Estacada, we made it a family day at the mountain. G’ma Elton was with us and we headed up to Mt. Hood with a packed minivan. As we approached Welches, OR, G’ma and I decided it would be nice to pass the old cabin our family had there during the 1980’s. We did so, reminiscing of the good times as we sat in front for a few minutes. Then, I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to take a right on East Salmon River Road to see if the old swimming hole and hiking trail was just as I remembered. I’m really glad we did. It’s only less than 4 miles up the road to the campground and trail head. I didn’t realize it is also open to mtn. bikes, so I think I’ll make a trip out of it one of these days soon. I also think it’ll be a great spot to take the kids camping once in a while.


No comments: