Thursday, December 20, 2007

Thumpalicious Dunks

I almost titled this entry “jukin’ & pukin’” – but this is a family show. No need for shock in the title, right? Well, Brandon Roy put on a show last night while he had the flu and played his guts out anyway (literally and figuratively). I took our 5-year old (a.k.a. MoMo) to the game sportin’ her new #12 LaMarcus Aldridge jersey. We had a great time. Most impressive moment? It’s a toss-up. First, I witnessed the greatest dunk I’ve ever seen live. A LaMarcus Aldridge back door pass to Martell Webster for the emphatic flush. Man, that was fun to see. I have a soft spot in my heart for athletic, acrobatic basketball. But possibly more impressive was the play of B-Roy – who had to leave the game during the 3rd quarter to throw-up. Yikes. Still, he came back and played sensational down the stretch. His slice and slash down the lane then up with the right hand, only to switch to the left - was amazing. Wow. When I saw that, I about hacked up the lemonade I was downing. Fun stuff, man. It was a move that McMillan compared to Michael Jordan's layup in the 1991 NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers - a shot that became Jordan's signature highlight.

"It was a pretty lucky shot," Roy said. "Playing in a park, I've made that shot before. But not in front of this many people."

The great part about the 9-game win streak they are currently experiencing is that it’s not just one thing they’re doing right. Defense is excellent. Coaching (tactics,etc) is great. Players are being unselfish. Guys aren’t getting down on themselves or others when things aren't going right. Lots of things. It’s amazing how a few wins really change the perspective on ‘how’ things are going. Lots of analogies for life here. Good and bad.

Said Roy after the game (in reference to his recent back-to-back player of the week honors):
"At first I didn't want to jinx it," Roy said. "And then I thought, 'This isn't a jinx. I think I really am this good.' "

No comments: