Sunday, June 6, 2010

6/5/2010 - Run for the Roses

Ran the Sherwood 10k Saturday morning. Absolutely perfect weather for a race. Sunny and cool. 8:00 am start time. No excuses. Since I haven't run the 10k distance in the past, I didn't know what to expect, but hoped to beat my previous PR of 6:52 mile splits, which would put me somewhere under 43 minutes overall. I reached those goals, as I finished with 41:21 overall time, running 6:40 mile splits. I'm happy with that. Turns out I was 9th place overall out of 139 participants. But boy, every time I run one of these, I think to myself: "why am I doing this? This is so unpoleasant!" I think, for me, it's the build-up, training, performance and feeling of accomplishment. The overall challenge to see what this body can do. There just seems to be some competitive dude inside me that likes to get out there, push hard through the pain to see what the outcome can be. And hey, I got 3rd in my age division (males 30-39), which was good enough to win a glass and a ribbon. What's better than that?
A really cool thing about this event was that the route ran right behind our house, so Melissa was able to snap these photos while I passed them. You can see Moriah's outstretched hand giving me a high-five in the first shot above. That was a cool moment. Ironically, this was also the moment the guy behind me (who I was trying to KEEP behind me) was able to pass me (you can see him on the road on the right side of the first picture above). C'mon, bro! In front of the family?!? Have you no respect!? I'm celebrating with my kid! I spent the rest of the race trying to catch up to him, but wasn't able to catch 'em. Punk. (kidding)

1 comment:

Pete said...

And it was a 47-year-old punk passed you, too, heightening the embarrassment! Maybe next time you'll save the high-fiving for after the finish line. (Kidding ... thanks for pulling me along for several miles!)