Thursday, June 3, 2010

5/31/2010 - Oregon Coast trip

We took the family out to the coast for the memorial day weekend. Stayed in a condo at “Otter Crest” (in between Depoe Bay and Newport) for 3 nights and really enjoyed the Oregon coast in a different way than I ever have. It’s usually a quick day trip or an overnight campout when I head to the coast, so it was cool to spend a fair amount of time there, especially with the family together. The resort had a pool on a cliff overlooking the ocean, so that made it pretty cool.

















We swam in the pool, spent time on the beach, went to church in Lincoln City, drove my new SUV out on the beach near Pacific City and even got to try out my new wetsuit in the ocean water. WOW. The wetsuit makes the Oregon beach experience so much more enjoyable. Even though the water is 55 degrees or so, it felt totally comfortable in the wetsuit. Only one problem, though. There was a shark lurking not too far away from me. Literally, you look out and the fin kept circling just a hundred feet or so away. The picture shown here is for real, there was a shark right there! I couldn’t believe it. So, needless to say, I didn’t go out very far and I got out of the water pretty quickly. But I was in just enough to know that having a wetsuit at the Oregon coast is pretty darned cool.
We also got to experience the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport. I’ve heard of this place all my life, but had never actually been there. They have done a great job, allowing the public to see sea lions, otters, sharks, etc. Probably the coolest thing there is the shark tunnels. There are 3 of them in the attraction and they do not disappoint. Some of the coolest looking sharks are literally swimming right over your head while you walk through. Really cool. The kids also got to touch some live starfish and other sea creatures. Moriah really wanted to see an alligator, and they had a few, and even one to touch/pet. They had a huge display of reptiles this time, so we saw so many different kinds of snakes that they all started looking similar! I would say the most peculiar creature there (to me, of course) is the jellyfish. What an odd creature. No eyes, no brain, and no central nervous system. But really cool to look at. Just don’t touch!

We had a blast at the coast this weekend. 3 days was just about right. It also reminded how cool the place where we live truly is.








No comments: