Monday, August 31, 2009

5/25/2009: Memorial day: Lake Run with Abbie (and hoop up!)

My sister Abbie and I have begun what we hope is a long tradition of running the Lake Run every year. The official date for it this year was May 9th. Since that was the same date we needed to be in Texas for our sister’s wedding, we decided to do the run ourselves on a different date. So, their family made it down to town on Memorial Day weekend and Abbie and I went and ran the lake course together. I tell you what, that sister of mine is a warrior. She had some foot cramping problems, but persevered and got it done. I was impressed. I was also able to secure the t-shirts from the official run, so we each got a shirt from our tradition. Hopefully we’ll continue the tradition each year. It’s a very hilly course and pretty tough for a 12k. A good challenge.

Also, their family was super-kind and helped me install my new hoop in the driveway. I mentioned that the mailman knocked the previous one down in January. It was a long, frustrating process to fight getting the post office to assist in making it right. The battle bore no fruit. However, I was able to secure a much nicer hoop at a rock-bottom price due to a local sporting goods retailer (“G.I. Joes”, rest their soul…I loved that place) going out of business. I bought it a few weeks earlier, but hadn’t figured out how I would actually install the thing. I was able to borrow the heavy-duty cement drill from a kind neighbor. When the Finks came to town, I lucked out with them (with their strong teenage boys) being willing to help put the hoop up. Long story short, they took the time to help and we got to play a great inaugural game of hoops on the new system. We played old dudes (myself and Jonathan) vs. the young guys (teenage nephews Jake and Adam). These guys can ball, man. It looked like they were gonna put us away, but I think our old-dude pride kicked in and we came back from “a bunch” behind and won the game by 1 point. It was really fun for that to be my first memory with the new hoop. It was really cool of them to spend some of their vacation time helping me with a not-so-fun project like that. Family. Gotta love it.

No comments: