Sunday, November 30, 2008

Civil War 2008 - DUCKS WIN 65-38

I really started following the Ducks closely after I got my masters degree from there in 2005... so this is really my fourth season as a Duck. Each year since then has felt so similar: start with great promise, then fizzle in the second half of the year...culminating in a Civil war loss (two of them have been at Autzen). This year was different. The Beavers were playing for the Pac-10 title and for a Rose Bowl berth. The Ducks, all things considered, have had a good season in their own right. Both teams were nationally ranked (rare) going into the game, making this a very meaningful game for both teams. Considering the Beavs lost their #1 offensive threat (Quizz Rodgers), this had the makings of a great game. The Beavers had a great defensive presence and Oregon had a high-powered offense. The Beavers were projected as 3-point favorites in the game and many thoughtful opinions put the game in the mid-twenties and would be decided by a few points. I predicted a ducks win at 31-24. Little did I (or anyone) expect such a Beaver-pounding in Corvallis, with a final score of 65-38. It was score after score after score. And JJ (Jeremiah Johnson) had his fingerprints all over this one. Now, it would appear that the Ducks will be headed to the Holiday Bowl again this year. That's good, all things considered. Overall, I think I am so happy about the win for various reasons:
1) RIVALRY: Beaver fans are upset about being so close to the Rose Bowl, but this kept them out. I am not happy about this in itself, but this game definitely serves to fuel the health of the rivalry in the future. The civil war just got a little more interesting.
2) FINISHERS: It was great to see that UO could finish a season strong. For the last few years, they seemed to peter out. It's been a frustrating cycle as a fan.
3) WINNER: Coach Bellotti wins a big game. Say what you will about him (he's not my favorite personality, that's for sure), but he's a good coach and I'm glad to see he can shed more of the stigma that big games are not his strong suit.

Go Ducks.

No comments: