Saturday, September 20, 2008

July 25th, 2008 - The Sacred Grove


Early the next morning, I ventured out to the Sacred Grove at the crack of dawn. I left around 5:50 a.m. and when I got to the parking lot of the grove, it was totally empty. I strolled through the front farm area in the still-semi-dark, reading plaque markers and enjoying the environment. One thing I hadn’t realized was the financial plight of the Smiths at that time. They lived in a homestead log cabin for some time, then were able to build the frame house and moved into it for a short time, but then were forced to move back into the log cabin when they could no longer afford to live in the frame house. Interesting.

I then walked into the grove. What an amazing experience. I had the whole place to myself for over an hour. I was able to drop to my knees anytime throughout the walk and offer prayers for various needs. Some my own, some for others. That place felt so special and sacred, I felt very blessed and humbled to have such a unique opportunity. I also sat on a bench in the middle of the grove, pondering for quite some time while the sun was just beginning to enter. I sat so long that it appeared even the wildlife didn’t notice me, at two squirrels ran and played right next to where I sat. It was serine. My testimony was fortified that day. And as I began the walk out, I was struck with an overwhelming realization regarding the boy Joseph. The COURAGE it must have required for him to relate the events that took place that day in the spring of 1820. It inspired me to write a poem about it:

____________________________________________

"The Courage of that boy" - by Aaron Elton

It was a spring morning, so beautiful and clear,
Questions abounding in his heart so dear.
So he went to the spot to ponder and pray,
Unaware of the importance of that day.
He poured out his heart, so simple and sincere.
A boy's faith - free of prejudice and fear.

Discouragement by the underworld sought to overtake him,
With the Light of that Vision, he was not shaken.

The Father and Son offered guidance and direction.
The answer to prayer; assurance of love and affection.

He left that Grove a different person than when he went in,
A life of devotion, perspiration and inspiration begins.
The world would scoff, but the sincere would hear.
The results of simple faith - free of prejudice and fear.
Waves of persecution, waves of Joy.
A faith the underworld simply could not destroy.
Let us not underestimate, the Courage of that boy.

_________________________________________

Later that morning, our whole group was able to go to the Grove together. We went into the frame house and enjoyed our surroundings as we entered the Grove. Many teenagers and other tourists were there by then as well, but it did not distract from the sacred nature of the visit. As we walked, I was able to lag behind and watch my beautiful wife and children walk and breathe in a very special place. I was struck by the sheer serenity of the moment. I'm so grateful for my family, and the trust that has been placed in me. I am also grateful for the testimony that I have burning in my heart, which so often offers comfort during sojourn through mortality. I can rely on my testimony and the basic tenets of the Gospel to help guide me through life. I am grateful for moments like this - and for geographical places like this to remind me of what's important and not to let distractions take away from clear, simple comprehension of what True priorities should be guiding my actions. The Sacred Grove and my experience there helped me gain a little better perspective.

Oh yeah, and the kids found a slug, too.

1 comment: