Monday, November 5, 2007

BLAZERS: A tough start

After three tough road games to start the season, Portland begins with a 0-3 record. It’s a little discouraging for the team, I’m sure. The San Antonio game was close enough to give us hope, but the New Orleans and Houston games both felt out of reach throughout the duration of the contests. Our boys were just getting outworked more often than not. Today’s Oregonian piece suggests making changes in the point guard and center positions. Personally, I think Steve Blake is a better choice for the starting unit. But I’m not 100% sold on the idea that Joel will be more valuable with the second unit. However, we really only have one true center. If Channing Frye is our other option at the 5, we’re in for some tough times if Joel somehow does not stay healthy. Yikes. Amd the way games have started lately, I’m glad to hear they are thinking of ways that will help the team come out of the gate firing – and firing hard and well. Digging ourselves a hole in the first quarter is not working right now.

BRANDON ROY: "I know from every game from here on out, I'm going to come out with a chip on my shoulder, from the opening tip,"

UPDATE: Furthermore, I like what Roy said after today’s practice:
"It was one of those practices where, we weren't getting ready to fight, but everybody was on the edge," Roy said. "You like to see that after losing three games in a row. You don't want to come in after losing three games in a row and see everyone smiling and having fun with each other.
"We were getting after it. I was mad. Jarrett was mad. Guys were getting after it. And we need that type of practice because we need to play that way. We think we started playing that way in the second half of the Houston game, but what this team hasn't had in the past, in the year's since I've been here, is carry over. We practiced this way, now we need to practice this way tomorrow and we have to play that way on Wednesday."

No comments: