Friday, November 20, 2009

Arizona trip

I spent 4 days this week in Arizona on business. I spent most of the time in Phoenix, but also had to travel 200 miles northwest to the town of Kingman. I saw one very peculiar thing while driving back. 2 workers on the side of the highway actually hosing down a cactus. I don’t know if they were cleaning it, watering it or just giving it some good old-fashioned love and attention. What the devil were they doing? Hhhmm. I also noticed how many cacti were propped up by man-made supports (boards and such, kind of like how you might prop up a weakened plant in your yard). I was just surprised at how many of these I saw. I wonder if the cactus population is endangered, or that’s just typical to see cacti being held up by man-made structures.

Arizona has a very deserty landscape for sure. And I will admit, it was nice to get out of the Portland November rain for a few days, but returning home was so gratifying. This place I live, the Portland area, has its own unique, majestic power. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I’m not going to make a statement on that. Everywhere is beautiful in its own way. But I sure am an Oregon boy!

While there, my rental car was a Chrysler 300 (touring edition). I was previously skeptical of the whole “hemi” marketing and all. So it had something to prove to me. But I tell you what, that car grew on me. By the end of the 4 days, I was sad to give it back. It could get up and move when & how I told it to. And on the long trip to Kingman, the cruise control was impressively accurate, even on hills. Summary, the 300 is a nice ride. I have become a convert.

On the return flight home, we flew directly over the Grand Canyon. It looks really cool from the air. I bet it is even more amazing from the ground. I hope to visit there with the family some day soon.

No comments: