Friday, January 4, 2008

Upping the projection to 48


As I predicted in an earlier entry, the new years eve game at Utah was a tough battle for this Portland team. Despite a valiant effort, they fell short and the losing streak was snapped at 13 straight w's. A number of my family members attended that game at Salt Lake City. My older brother, who also bleeds red and black, had an interesting comment after seeing the Trail Blazers live. He said "I knew Brandon Roy was good, but I didn't know he was THAT good." Well said.

After that loss, the true test came in the ensuing road games at Minnesota and Chicago. They beat Minnesota with a true lack-luster performance. The next night at Chicago was truly something special. In front of a national TV audience, The team seemed to coast through the first 2 and 1/2 quarters. That's almost precisely when I was able to turn the game on, by the way, but I digress. The team pulled out a double-overtime, high intensity win in a hostile environment. Man, this team sure is showing some impressive resolve and finding ways to will themselves to victory. Many people are jumping on the bandwagon, even nationally many analysts are projecting Portland as a playoff contender. I'm not gonna count anything here before it hatches, but I will say that if they can maintain this poise and intensity (and positive decision making), they have a very real chance to make the playoffs this year. I predicted 37 wins (which many believed was too high, mind you) and I do believe this is a good time to up that prediction to 41 wins. Precisely .500 ball. Will that be enough to make the playoffs? Probably not. But who's to say I'm not being conservative (stingy) with the prediction, eh?
(1/18/08 UPDATE) OK, I have looked through the schedule and given it a more logical approach. After close inspection of the season schedule and making predictions of games they 'ought' to win and games they 'may' win, I believe they can be closer to 50-ish wins. Really. The third youngest team in NBA history. Wow, it's a bit hard to believe I'm saying that. So, 48 wins is my prediction and 47 is my "disappointment" mark. 47 wins will give them a 57% winning percentage. I was feeling like they should end the season above 60%, but that would give them 50 wins. For some reason, I just can't allow myself to believe that the team will hit that mark this year. However, if they surprise me, I'm sure I'll figure out a way to get over it.

1 comment:

Barlow and Lannie said...

41 wins, eh? Still the stingiest of the fam, bro. ;)

Come on! This team is going to play above 500 the rest of the season. I think Kenny Smith on TNT after the Bulls game said it best: "I think they're gonna make the playoffs. You can tell they've turned the corner."

'Nuff said. The Blazers have the perfect leader in Brandon Roy and are on their way to the postseason.

*cue old Blazer trumpet theme*

B Elton