Wednesday, October 20, 2010

October 3 2010 - Pride and the Nutcracker

General Conference weekend was last week and our family enjoyed most of the proceedings together. Some of the talks really struck a chord with me. Particularly President Uchtdorf’s talk about pride. He was reiterating the sentiment of Pres. Benson’s talk in 1989, but with his own signature on it. It really hit me hard that pride is a constant threat to my well being. He specified that “taking pride” in something, like your work, is different from the pride of comparison and “one-upping” pride that can be so destructive. It can be self-glorification or it can be jealousy. It can be seeing weakness in others and comparing it to yourself; then the leap of “therefore, I am better than you.” This topic really affected me and is causing me to reevaluate some of the things in my life. He said “We have no time to become absorbed in ourselves”. I’m grateful to have inspired men leading us today.

On that note, there was funny moment when I paused the conference for something while one of the speakers was delivering his address. Our 8-yr old daughter looked at him and said, “Dad, why does he look like the nutcracker?” I looked at the screen and the double-chin action and overall look. She was exactly right. Now I can never look at that person again without thinking about the “nutcracker”. Kids speak the truth, my friend.

No comments: