Saturday, September 20, 2008

June 16, 2008 - Emery's Birthday & Mariner Game


Emery had her birthday party on June 13th. It was a party just for Emery, her friends and her mom. Little sisters were NOT invited (a sign of growing up, I suppose). So it was dad's job (mine) to find a way to entertain my three youngest girls for a few hours while Emery has her party. Then my sister Abbie called. Her family shares a suite at SafeCo field and invited us up for the Mariner's game that night against the Washington Nationals. Man, a suite is such a great way to attend a game as a family. Going to that game also helped me put into perspective how 'big' the 'big leagues' really are and what kind of support Portland would need in order to support a major league baseball team. Big stadium, lots of people. Portland has a great baseball following, but I can see why it might be a stretch to think a smaller city could support the big leagues. But the statistics say we can. I'd love to have baseball in Portland. Even a bad team playing a bad team (Mariner's vs. Nationals) helped me put into perspective how great it is to just go to the ballgame and enjoy the atmosphere. Then how much greater it would be if the team were actually good - and winning!

We drove home after the game. Sheesh. I didn’t get home until after 2:30 in the morning. Had to stop at a rest area to cure the mid-trip drowsiness. But we got home safe and sound. Emery's party was a success and the little sisters got to see a big league game! Happy times for all.

No comments: